On December 12th 2019, poetry v1.0.0 was released. With it, came a bad surprise for me: My CI/CD jobs as well as my Docker image builds started failing.
After investigating, I’ve found out that the password key/value was now missing from the
.config/pypoetry/auth.toml file. Digging some more, I’ve found out that poetry relies on a library called keyring to manage passwords.
Here is what I did to fix the problem.
First, I’ve noticed that poetry falls back to the previous method if keyring returns
RuntimeError when it is called. Nice. It turns out that keyring comes with a backend aptly named “fail” which does that whatever the call is. So, it’s only a matter of configuring it.
As the keyring documentation states it, run
python -c "import keyring.util.platform_; print(keyring.util.platform_.config_root())" to find where to put the configuration file. Then, in that directory, create
keyringrc.cfg and put the following content in it:
That’s it. Now you can call
poetry config http-basic.... the same way you used to and the password will be stored in
Last week, my team open sourced the configuration library we have streamlined for the software components that we work on.
Opset – A library for simplifying the configuration of Python applications at all stages of deployment. [github] [pypi]
This is heavily inspired by https://wiki.gnupg.org/AgentForwarding but is going to be friendlier
This post is annectodic, but I figured it could still be helpful in some way, so here I go.
Classic story. At work, the CircleCI CI/CD pipeline of the project I work on, as time went by, became slower and slower. Recently, it reached a bit over forty minutes. I worked on it and brought it back under ten minutes. Here is what I did.
Following some discussions at work and the will of the team to adopt a python code formatter, I set out to explore some of them. No need to say, the contenders had to aim towards pep8 compliance. Here are my findings on three of them.
I’ve been trying and trying to launch a Neo4j instance on the marketplace without success. It always gave me the nice “success” message, but when I went to the EC2 console: nothing!
A nice green “success” message even though it doesn’t work.
I finally decided to do it the hard way: manually. First step: select an instance type. I immediately try to select the same low cost instance I had picked in the marketplace (m3.medium) and to my surprise that type wasn’t there.
Instance type selection as per the Neo4j marketplace page.
Adding 1 + 1, I went back to the market place and tried with an instance type that still exists: m4.large… success!
So I don’t know who is to blame here, but here are my 2 questions to the internet:
- Why do we get the success message even though it doesn’t work?
- Why are unsupported instance types offered in the market place?
I recently deployed a python application in google app engine / container engine. When I went to check the logs, everything was logged at the “ERROR” level even though my application uses python logging properly. As far as I know there are 2 ways to fix that:
- Use the stackdriver client, which requires an additional dependency and somewhat binds your program to google app engine.
- Format the logs in a way that stackdriver can parse them, which is easily configurable.
If you develop a ton of python applications and you need to test under a lot of different versions, and by a lot I mean overlapping major/minor versions (like 3.5.3 and 3.5.4), then a good option is to use pyenv. Along with tox, you can easily test your application against various major/minor versions.
Here is how to do it.
Notes sur la compilation de vim 8 et tmux 2 dans un environnement local.
Here is a recipe on how I made those thing work together both on a linux development environment and in production. The important thing to remember is: just like recipes for brownies, there are other recipes to achieve the same thing.
The following steps assume you have a Google cloud account with the proper permissions.